Monday, December 20, 2010

Songs I am Listening to These Days

My music collection recently received a huge influx of tunes. Given that I normally add music slowly and haphazardly to my collection, this surplus of music is sort of weirding me out. As a result, I'm doing what I normally do - that is, ignoring most of it in order to listen to a small selection of songs over and over.

Rather than actually attempt to write a real post at 12:30 am, I'm going to share some of the songs that have managed to grab and hold my attention over the past week or so.

"Heads Will Roll (A-Trak Remix)" - The Yeah Yeah Yeahs

I'm not sure how much there is to be said about this one. It's catchy, and has a beat that makes me want to dance. That's really all I need.


"No Children" - The Mountain Goats

For all that this song is unrepentantly bitter, shouting gleefully along to it is oddly satisfying. John Darnielle, the main force behind the Mountain Goats, writes lyrics that regularly make me catch my breath, and this particular song is a masterpiece. The album version, from "Tallahassee", feels strangely comforting, between the lilting piano and the remarkably restrained vocals. Listen to the live version, above, for the full-on rage experience.

"U Should Know Better" - Robyn

It's hard not to love a song that includes the lyrics "You know when in Rome / I sat down with the Romans / Said "We need a black pope and she better be a woman" / There'll be no more celibacy / Even the Vatican knows not to fuck with me". Moreover, this song makes Snoop Dogg tolerable - no small feat, given how entrenched he was in my bad books after "California Gurls". Finally, dancing around the apartment singing "Even _______ knows not to fuck with me!" with a badass swagger is practically the definition of good times.

"Camp Out" - An Horse

My dear friend K. dragged me to see An Horse play when we were both home for the summer. They were phenomenal. "Camp Out" in particular is a great mix of up-tempo instrumentals with the kind of contemplative lyrics I've been driven to find, lately. That probably explains my Mountain Goats obsession too, come to think of it. And Mumford & Sons, who I'd be remiss not to include.

"White Blank Page" - Mumford and Sons

Not actually my favorite Mumford and Sons song, but I adore the Bookshop Sessions they did, and - as much as I love them both - neither "The Cave" nor "Roll Away My Stone" have really been drawing me in lately. I've been obsessed with Mumford and Sons since I first heard "The Cave" nearly a year ago, and when I can't quite figure out what I want to listen to, more often than not they're my go-to band. The vocals on this nearly break my heart every time I hear it; lead singer Marcus Mumford manages to pack so much raw emotion into every word that it's almost hard to listen.

Well, there's five to tide you over. Next time I promise I'll bring something more substantive.

No comments:

Post a Comment